Saturday, October 23, 2010

Parent Teacher Conferences

In high school everyone treats you like a real teacher. And with this new status comes real conferences. I got lined up just like every other teacher in the commons with a little table, two chairs for parents, and a sign with my name on it. Parents stopped by and I pulled out their grades and talked about their kids. Mostly, these went really well, because most kids do really well in drawing. But there were a few special conferences. Here are a few of the highlights.

After showing her son's failing grade due to the fact that he just choose not to turn in half of the assignments, his mom said, 'Oh he is so grounded for like a month!'

One student was doing really well but ended up getting a C because he didn't turn in a big project. To which his mom says, 'You mean he just threw away an A?' I told her he could do extra credit by visiting different museums around town. Her response, 'Oh, I've been wanting to go to the Nelson. There is going to be some forced, family, museum time!'.

Another mom asked my to let her know if I discovered the vitamin to motivate. So if anyone if out there who knows if this exists, let me know.

Other than that the conferences went a little like this, ' I really like your student. They are doing really well. Is he/she signed up for drawing 2 or painting?' I've got to keep building my program and one way to do that is to put the bug in parents' ears about signing up for more of my classes.

I believe conferences were a success. I guess we'll see next year when I see who enrolls in my classes.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment