Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Best Top 10 List





Top 10 Things I Will Miss MOST About Elementary School

10. Funny pictures like the one above from students
9. Hugs! Although sometime they are awkward, I love getting hugs from my students as they walk in my room as well and when they leave
8. Asking students if they are going to put clothes on the stick figures. "Ah! They're Naked!"
7. Kindergarten art (Who would have thought this one would make it on the best list? My first year this grade level caused me the most tears. But because of that I really worked on my lessons and scaffolding the skills. I really love how the students change from the first day to the last!)
6. Reading children's book with the undivided attention of 20 students listening with their undivided attention.
5. Sending things via student carrier to my friends around school. Some of my favorite items sent were; diet coke, clothes being returned, tampons, candy, and funny pictures of myself.
4. Being three numbers away from friends at school. Calling 261 anytime! That's Sarah the music room, always a good listening ear. Calling 248 anytime! That's Mary in 6th grade. I loved how her students would say, "Mrs. Culross, you BFF is on the phone." Or hearing "Hello art" as Mary picked up the phone because that's who the phone says is calling. Looking down into Carrie's classroom when walking anywhere to see if she could distract me from work for a while. Since Carrie taught second grade her room was less of a calling room and more of a stopping by room. But I do know her number too, 254.
3. Trips to the Nelson! I would take 6th grade in the fall and 3rd grade in the spring.
2. Hearing things like "Wow! You're a really great artist!" and "You look pretty today". Elementary kids are good for the self esteem.

And the thing I will miss most about teaching at the elementary level is.....

1. HALLOWEEN! We did this holiday up right. All afternoon was devoted to getting students into their costumes, parading around the school to Halloween music, and parties. I love that the anticipation of what costume you are going to wear starts shortly into the new year. I love keeping my costume a secret. I love dressing up with Sarah and coordinating costumes. And I love making it onto the Halloween page of the yearbook all four year, even if I have to do it myself!

Bee and Bee Keeper

Ghost and Ghost-buster

(Can I still dress up in high school?)

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I too remember the first year and "K", do you think Eric Carle will work on 9th graders?
    Look how you have grown!
    This was a fun list:)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is making me do something I haven't wanted to do yet...it's making me come to the realization that you won't BE THERE next year! :(

    I, too, will miss Halloween. The kids will be devastated that we aren't dressing up!!! I mean, most of the kids think we are sisters and will be as sad about our split as we are!

    ReplyDelete